Thursday, November 6, 2014

Trophic Gamble

     The Trophics Gamble, quite the math project. In class we were to measure our "farm land" with that measurement we were to pick a crop and plant it on our land. We then have to calculate the kcal of how much crop we will have, but before we do that we had to calculate the loss we face when our crops experience conditions that they can't handle. We call it a gamble because you never really know how bad or good your crop production will turn out. Then we had to figure out how many meat eating and vegetarian people that we could feed. Also, we had to figure out how  many animals that we could feed with the crops in order for meat eaters to have food. Which I don't care about at his point because the math pissed me off.


     This assignment was a little confusing because I really had to go in dept into the math of the whole thing. Because we were not aloud to use calculators, the division was very difficult because I forgot how to do long division. I had to ask someone to teach me how to do it again, and even then I was getting crazy answers. I realized that I needed to be more careful and neat when I was doing multiplication because I wasn't getting accurate numbers. After I would finish each question I would check my work on a calculator and find my mistakes so that I wouldn't keep going with incorrect numbers. The very end asks how many vegetarian people I could feed with my crops and the correct amount of calories. I keep getting a huge number even when I redid the paper so I am coming to the conclusion that I messed up numbers somewhere before the last question and that's why it doesn't make sense. 
                    

1 comment:

  1. We will practice that math this year!! You need to know it for the test!

    ReplyDelete